- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
UK: Thanet Earth completes construction on sixth greenhouse
The new greenhouse is now fully operational, planted with four different varieties of speciality tomato, including the signature Thanet Earth Piccolo variety. Heated by Combined Heat & Power technology, the greenhouse is fitted throughout with High Pressure Sodium (HPS) grow lights, the secret to ensuring year round production.
Thanet Earth now accounts for 15% of the planted area for tomatoes in the UK. In reality, the hyper-efficiency of the growing system and the 12-month harvest capability mean that the percentage of UK tomatoes grown at Thanet Earth is approaching 25%. At other UK grower sites they estimate that there are some 10ha of tomato production lit by LEDs or HPS grow lights. Therefore during the winter months, the 31 hectares of lit production at Thanet Earth is representing 75% of the UK's total capacity of lit tomatoes.
It’s not just tomatoes at Thanet Earth that now benefit from winter light. In what Thanet Earth says is a first for the UK, they have installed sodium grow lights in a cucumber greenhouse too. This greenhouse was constructed in 2016 and has hosted a crop of tomatoes through the 2017 season. It will switch to cucumber production for 2018 with the young plants assisted through the winter months by supplementary lighting. This is the first UK high wire, light-assisted cucumber crop. The system will allow Thanet Earth to increase its cucumber yield further by hosting a higher density of planting and will bring forward the harvest window, with the first cucumbers harvested in January 2018.
Des Kingsley is Managing Director at Thanet Earth. Getting the fifth and sixth greenhouses constructed and operational has been a key part of his strategy for business growth. Speaking of the demand for home-grown product Des said “There’s an enormous uncertainty around the future for imported trade at the moment, and it’s widely acknowledged that the UK has to improve its self-sufficiency in food production. We’re working as hard as we can to add more top quality home-grown volumes to the market but there’s still a huge gap between the demand for British tomatoes all year round and the available supply volumes.” He went on to praise the team behind the build. “Once again this greenhouse has been constructed on schedule and on budget. We’ve been able to use many local contractors and we’ve created ongoing work for a further 130 people in the care and management of the greenhouse and in the packing of its crops. My thanks goes out to everyone involved.”
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 Lift cart collects data while crop work is done
- 10/18/2018 Russia: 10 ha strawberry greenhouse planned in Elektrostal
- 10/18/2018 Moscow region reaches 100% self-sufficiency with tomatoes and cucumbers
- 10/18/2018 Turkey: Increase in greenhouse banana production in Antalya
- 10/18/2018 "Professional production facilities like greenhouses are a must to be able to export"
- 10/18/2018 US (OH): Great Lakes Growers doubles production capacity to 160,000 sq.ft.
- 10/17/2018 China to build Dutch-inspired high-tech agriculture park
- 10/17/2018 Japan: Education center expands with 1 ha tomato production greenhouse
- 10/16/2018 Russia: 2 ha greenhouse opened in Dagestan
- 10/16/2018 US (CA): Leichtag Foundation gets six gutter-connected greenhouses
- 10/16/2018 Winterproofing the greenhouse
- 10/16/2018 US: California invests $1.5 million in seasonal high tunnels
- 10/16/2018 US: Incentives aid greenhouses and nurseries in implementing energy efficiency practices
- 10/15/2018 Turkey: Decline in agricultural production areas in Kutahya
- 10/15/2018 How to keep greenhouse conditions optimal for plant growth
- 10/15/2018 Japanese pitch "biggest greenhouse in the world"
- 10/12/2018 Russia: Nobody interested in Altai greenhouse complex
- 10/12/2018 Can greenhouse crop production become efficient enough to produce food for the masses?
- 10/12/2018 Self-assembly greenhouse to be launched in USA
- 10/12/2018 The best way to circulate air in a glasshouse