Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Workers safe after carbon monoxide incident at Windset Farms
- Hydropothecary announces expansion plans
- "With unemployment at record lows, labor is our biggest challenge"
- Australia: New project to drive agriculture innovation in Victoria
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
Top 5 - last month
- US (TX): Tarrant County College board approves campus greenhouse
- Partial replacement of PAR light by far red light in tomato
- NL: New Geothermal Energy Alliance in South Holland
- German Agricultural Society and Fairtrade enter strategic partnership in Africa
- US (ME): Aquaponic grower secures $1.6M to expand greenhouse
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Politician calls for passage of urban agriculture actA lawmaker in the Philippines House of Representatives is pushing for the swift passage of the proposed Integrated Urban Agriculture Act toward a more food-secure country. AGRI Party-list Rep. Orestes Salon made the call on Tuesday after the House Committee on Food Security consolidated four measures seeking to promote the use of urban agriculture in all urban areas in the Philippines.
Salon, principal author of one of the bills, stressed the need for Congress to lay down a policy platform to achieve food security considering that the Philippines ranked 79th in the 2017 Global Food Security Index released by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
“The urgency of addressing our nation’s food security should guide us in our actions,” Salon said.
Salon said the proposed law could help improve the country’s food supply and could positively impact employment and income generation for urban settlers.
Under the bill, an Office of Urban Agriculture shall be established by the Department of Agriculture.
Click here to read more at the Philippine Canadian Inquirer.
Publication date: 10/11/2017
Other news in this sector: