Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (CA): Mann Packing removes non-GMO labels from lettuceCA: One year ago, Mann Packing went through the process of getting some of its vegetable products Non-GMO Project Verified. Now, the company is trying to distance itself from non-GMO labeling.
The company is removing the non-GMO verified check from its single-cut lettuce products in its next print run, which could take place next month, said Gina Nucci, Mannís director of corporate marketing. Mann did an about face after presenting its product packaging in Canada, where the Non-GMO Project Verified label is only allowed on products that have a GMO alternative.
"There is no GMO lettuce," said Nucci. "It made us go: Why are we doing this? We are perpetuating a fear that something is wrong with GMOs. We didnít feel right doing that, so we chose to take that label off."
Mann sells other products that do not have the non-GMO verified check, but include copy stating they are GMO-free on the packaging. Nucci said the company is discussing removing that, as well.
Nucci said Mann is not proactively communicating about its stance on GMOs, but it isnít hiding its opinion either. If people reach out with questions, its comms team responds.
Read more at PR Week
Publication date: 10/10/2017
Other news in this sector: