Announcements

Job offersmore »



Tweeting Growers

Top 5 - yesterday

  • No news has been published yesterday.

Top 5 - last week

Top 5 - last month

Exchange ratesmore »




US: Prevalence of food insecurity essentially unchanged

In 2016, 87.7 percent of American households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining households (12.3 percent) were food insecure—meaning that they had difficulty at some time during the year providing enough food for all their members because of a lack of resources. That level is essentially unchanged from 2015, but down from a high of 14.9 percent in 2011 and also continues the downward trend in food insecurity in recent years.

Over a third of food insecure households (4.9 percent of U.S. households) experienced very low food security in 2016, meaning that at times the food intake of one or more household members was reduced and their eating patterns were disrupted because the household lacked money and other resources for food. The prevalence of very low food security was also essentially unchanged from 2015, but down from 5.6 percent in 2014.



This chart appears in the ERS report, Household Food Security in the United States in 2016, released September 6, 2017.

Publication date: 9/8/2017

 


 

Other news in this sector:

11/17/2017 Spanish import and export traffic of fruit and vegetables rose by 2.3%
11/17/2017 North Korean farmers cannot compete with low priced Chinese imports
11/17/2017 Productivity drives growth in U.S. agricultural output
11/17/2017 Since 1909, winter in New Zealand has become 30 days shorter
11/16/2017 AU: Online fruit and veg retailers forced to compete as Amazon's arrival approaches
11/16/2017 How logistics companies can help reduce food loss
11/16/2017 Tomato prices skyrocket in India's capital amidst supply shortage
11/15/2017 Japan implements supervised inspection of profenofos in Chinese green peppers
11/15/2017 "Bachelor grower without family takes more risk"
11/15/2017 "Future of New Zealand's fruit and vegetable supply in jeopardy"
11/14/2017 “Sweet” Queensland strawberries hit Indonesian shops
11/14/2017 ASEAN countries call for better packaging to cut fresh produce waste
11/14/2017 Ireland invests millions in horticulture industry
11/14/2017 EU and Iran aim to intensify agricultural cooperation
11/13/2017 Russia lifts import restrictions for Turkish tomato trade
11/13/2017 Future of CAP: Climate change on your plate
11/10/2017 Ukraine: Tomato prices fall by up to 40%
11/10/2017 Evolving market means changing suppliers for Slovakian importers
11/10/2017 FCC reports see growth for Canada’s agriculture exports
11/10/2017 US: The federal crop insurance program - status and sustainability