Job offersmore »
- Service Engineer - US & Canada
- Inside Sales Coordinator - USA
- Sales Engineer, Water - The Netherlands
- Crop care supervisor - Australia
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - India
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US(PA): 60,000 sq.ft. vertical greenhouse to bolster Lancaster's less fortunate
- "Energy storage is more than just batteries"
- Leaf sensors can tell farmers when crops need to be watered
- Paskal launches cloud-based irrigation monitor solution
- Inefficient cannabis growers will go out of business eventually
Exchange ratesmore »
Belgium: Carrefour pays attention to grower's choice of substrate and variety
The involvement of growers in marketing campaigns is becoming increasingly popular. Dutch retailer Jumbo is filming inside the greenhouse, Lidl puts them in their magazine and in the Albert Heijn the growers stare at you from big cardboard promotion boards. In Belgium, Carrefour goes one step further. They explain the grower's choice of substrate and variety and how they can guarantee the quality of their tomatoes.
"A combination of a tasteful variety, a sustainable grow bag and a specialized Belgian grower", the retailer writes on his website, explaining why they chose for the Nunhems Foundation variety of Bayer CropScience. "The selected variety Foundation provides good homogeneous trusses, with few malformed fruits and little cultivation waste. In addition, the variety also has a good shelf life, so that in the store or at home, little is discarded. The variety not only produces beautiful trusses with well-formed fruits, but also a delicious full flavor, which is further enhanced by the use of the Peltracom Grow Bag."
They explain in detail what the Peltracom Grow Bag represents. "This, unlike other substrates, consists of sustainable organic raw materials. This rich soil ensures a natural nutrition for the plant. Thanks to the stimulating microbial community in the substrate, good plant protection is also possible. The expert cultivation guidance of Peltracom allows for optimal control of the cultivation, which contributes to the resilience of the plants and the taste of the fruits. Moreover, the organic substrate is 100% compostable, which makes a significant difference in the sustainable cultivation process."
Thirdly, the origin of the grower is also addressed. "Carrefour Belgium is working hard to support Belgian producers. The cooperation with the company Tomato Masters in Deinze is an example of this. After 3 years, cooperation is strengthened by the development of the KKC TOV. The more than 6 hectare of the Foundation variety, which was specially planted for Carrefour, has to ensure that our customers find high quality TOVs in our stores throughout summer."
Read the entire article here, (in Dutch)
Publication date: 8/23/2017
Other news in this sector: