Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Japan: D.I.Y. artificial intelligence sorts Japanese cucumbers
Japanese cucumber grower Makoto Koike was recently featured in an article by Amos Zeeberg on TheNewYorker.com. In 2014, at the age of thirty-three, Koike left his job and city life to move to his parents’ cucumber farm, in the greener prefecture of Shizuoka. “I thought I was getting old,” Koike told Zeeberg. “I wanted to be close to my home and my family.”
The Koikes have been growing cucumbers in Kosai, a town wedged between the Pacific Ocean and the brackish Lake Hamana, for nearly fifty years. Their crop, which fills three small greenhouses, grows year-round.
The Koike's operation looks pretty much like any other present day cucumber greenhouse. Aside from some AI to sort his family’s cucumbers....Click here to read the full story in Zeeman's article in The New Yorker.
Publication date: 8/11/2017
Other news in this sector: