Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Sri Lanka to boost domestic seed production
Sri Lanka wants to boosts its domestic hybrid vegetable seed production. Therefore it was announced that the Mahailluppallama Seed Farm will no longer be subject to a sale. According to an article on ColomboPage.com, the farm has not been given to any foreign company and there are no plans to transfer 300 acres from the Seed Farm to a foreign company for 50 years, the Minister of Agriculture Duminda Dissanayake assured the parliament this week.
According to ColomboPage.com, the Minister stressed that no foreign company has received approval to produce seed paddy, which is a matter related to vegetable seeds. He said that there is no excess seeds and all hybrid vegetable seeds are imported. The Minister added that the government spends Rs. 1.4 billion to import the hybrid seeds.
"We are trying to produce hybrid seeds with our farmers within the country to save the money," the Minister said requesting the opposition not to politicize the issues raised.
Publication date: 8/11/2017
Other news in this sector: