Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Workers safe after carbon monoxide incident at Windset Farms
- Australia: New project to drive agriculture innovation in Victoria
- "With unemployment at record lows, labor is our biggest challenge"
- Hydropothecary announces expansion plans
- US (FL): Wish Farms launches strawberry season with new sweepstakes
Top 5 - last month
- US (TX): Tarrant County College board approves campus greenhouse
- Partial replacement of PAR light by far red light in tomato
- NL: New Geothermal Energy Alliance in South Holland
- German Agricultural Society and Fairtrade enter strategic partnership in Africa
- US (ME): Aquaponic grower secures $1.6M to expand greenhouse
Exchange ratesmore »
Sri Lanka to boost domestic seed production
Sri Lanka wants to boosts its domestic hybrid vegetable seed production. Therefore it was announced that the Mahailluppallama Seed Farm will no longer be subject to a sale. According to an article on ColomboPage.com, the farm has not been given to any foreign company and there are no plans to transfer 300 acres from the Seed Farm to a foreign company for 50 years, the Minister of Agriculture Duminda Dissanayake assured the parliament this week.
According to ColomboPage.com, the Minister stressed that no foreign company has received approval to produce seed paddy, which is a matter related to vegetable seeds. He said that there is no excess seeds and all hybrid vegetable seeds are imported. The Minister added that the government spends Rs. 1.4 billion to import the hybrid seeds.
"We are trying to produce hybrid seeds with our farmers within the country to save the money," the Minister said requesting the opposition not to politicize the issues raised.
Publication date: 8/11/2017
Other news in this sector: