Job offersmore »
- Inside Sales Coordinator - USA
- Sales Engineer, Water - The Netherlands
- Crop care supervisor - Australia
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - India
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US(PA): 60,000 sq.ft. vertical greenhouse to bolster Lancaster's less fortunate
- "Energy storage is more than just batteries"
- Leaf sensors can tell farmers when crops need to be watered
- Paskal launches cloud-based irrigation monitor solution
- Inefficient cannabis growers will go out of business eventually
Exchange ratesmore »
US (WI): Superior Fresh plans to expand salmon productionOn a hill overlooking the unincorporated community of Northfield, just off Interstate-94 in Jackson County, a green metal building, two acres of Plexiglas and a red barn stand out in the surrounding sea of farm fields. This is the home of Superior Fresh, a multi-million dollar fish farm and aquaponic greenhouse capable of producing 160,000 pounds of Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout and up to 2 million pounds of varietal, leaf lettuce per year.
It’s hailed as the first privately owned, indoor, Atlantic salmon farm in America. Currently, there is a combination of around 60,000 salmon and rainbow trout in their early life stages.
Superior Fresh COO Brandon Gottsacker said they hope to ramp up to 75,000 by next year.
In an effort to spur the growth of more fish farming and aquaponics facilities such as Superior Fresh, state Sen. Tom Tiffany, R-Hazelhurst, sponsored a bill easing regulations for the state’s aquaculture industry.
Read more at Wisconsin Public Radio
Publication date: 7/14/2017
Other news in this sector: