Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
German organic Naturgut-Biohelden label celebrates first anniversary
Since April 2016, the German discounter Penny sells, under the brand 'Naturgut-Biohelden' fruit and vegetables that do not always look completely perfect, in the whole of Germany. However, the little beauty errors do not affect the shelf life nor the taste, the Naturgut- Biohelden are simply of the highest bio quality.
The Naturgut-Biohelden are, one year after their introduction, very popular with Penny's customers. Sales increased by almost 7.5 percent. Because of the high demand, Penny has increased the number of Biohelden from 13 to 21 items (including local products and seasonal items). The absolute favorites of the customers are bio-pepper (+ 54%) followed by bio-cucumber (+ 52%), bio-kiwi (+ 33%) and finally bio-TOVs (+ 25%). But also the growers clearly benefit from the concept. Johannes Remmel, Minister of Agriculture of North Rhine-Westphalia, had himself convinced of this by visiting 'Naturhof Wolfsberg' in Alfter-Impekoven near Bonn on May 4.
Minister Remmel: "The sale of organic vegetables and organic fruit with minor flaws should have been done a lot earlier. The destruction of food is no longer acceptable - not just for ethical reasons only. The growers are now given the opportunity to receive appropriate prices for high quality food. That has strengthened the German agriculture. I therefore hope that the model of Penny will be followed and will be a symbol for food valuation. I hope that further initiatives will be taken."
Dr. Andreas Mager, manager of Naturhof Wolfsberg: "Thanks to the concept of Biohelden, we now can also sell stone fruit with beauty flaws at an appropriate price. At the same time, the sorting work clearly decreases. I estimate that, compared to previous years, we achieve 20 percent more sales and more turnover. It is also a necessity for us because this is the only way for us to finance the very labor-intensive work in production as well as our nature projects. At the moment we are investing heavily in the biodiversity of our company."
Publication date: 6/14/2017
Other news in this sector: