Job offersmore »
- Project Manager NPD - Apeldoorn
- Maintenance Manager - Mansfield, Australia
- Crop Consultant - The Netherlands
- Purchasing Manager Tropical - Netherlands
- Purchasing Manager Melons - Europe
- Tomato/Cucumber Chief Grower - Georgia
- Trainee Grower - Warragul, Australia
- Experienced tomato grower for lighting greenhouse, Poland
- Maintenance Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Product Specialist - The Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dutch greenhouse builders suspected of big fraud with EU subsidies
- New patterned sticky trap catches double amount of whitefly
- Japan: Osaka Prefectural University’s opens immense new city farm
- Crushed foam glass meets all the requirements to be dream substrate
- Leamington grower successfully pioneering with growing media and varieties
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Good cucumber season for Almeria
The conclusion of Almeria’s cucumber season is a good one this year, mainly due to favourable prices, which according to the latest figures by the provincial government of Andalusia is the second best in the past 6 years.
The cucumber was sold this season for an average price of 0.55 euros per kilo. The production of 411,200 tons (0.9% more than the previous season) brought in 227 million euros (28.5% more than the previous year). In 2012/2011 this was 0.44 Euro. In 2008/2009 the price was comparable, when the producer received 0.58 Euro per kilo.
Reason for the favourable price levels was an early end of the Dutch and French season, two major competitors. The best price was paid in the months of November and February, when export was mainly coming from Almeria and Granada. When production in the Netherlands got going again in March, Almeria prices dropped.
The end of the season is focused on the national market.
Publication date: 9/2/2013
Other news in this sector: