Job offersmore »
- Horticulture Sales Scientist Horticulture Lighting -
- Technical Outside Sales Representative - Ontario, Canada / Northeast US
- Crop Production Manager / Agronomists / Operations Manager - Gambia
- Production Manager - Tasmania
- Dispatch Team Leader - Australia
- Market Development Manager - Russia
- Commercial Manager (Spanish speaking) - UK
- Operations Manager - United States
- Export produce trader – French market - Spain
- International Marketer - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- Burglary at seed warehouse of Rijk Zwaan Italy
- Dutch companies supporting Vietnamese horti-sector with modern greenhouses
- Canada: Vineland releases 2014 Innovation Report
- Deficit irrigation affects growth, yield, vitamin C content of hot pepper grown in soilless culture
- Hoogendoorn tip: Automatic heating pre-control when screen closes
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Good cucumber season for Almeria
The conclusion of Almeria’s cucumber season is a good one this year, mainly due to favourable prices, which according to the latest figures by the provincial government of Andalusia is the second best in the past 6 years.
The cucumber was sold this season for an average price of 0.55 euros per kilo. The production of 411,200 tons (0.9% more than the previous season) brought in 227 million euros (28.5% more than the previous year). In 2012/2011 this was 0.44 Euro. In 2008/2009 the price was comparable, when the producer received 0.58 Euro per kilo.
Reason for the favourable price levels was an early end of the Dutch and French season, two major competitors. The best price was paid in the months of November and February, when export was mainly coming from Almeria and Granada. When production in the Netherlands got going again in March, Almeria prices dropped.
The end of the season is focused on the national market.
Publication date: 9/2/2013
Other news in this sector: