Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenyan growers go digitalKenya's David Kioo almost gave up on horticulture farming last year despite the high octane optimism that informed his decision to embrace an otherwise lucrative venture.
The middle-aged farmer was disappointed by a string of crop failure occasioned by climatic stresses, market volatility and high cost of farm inputs like fertilizers and seeds.
Kioo had earlier resigned from a clerical job and his enthusiasm in horticulture farming suffered a blow due to the numerous hurdles that he encountered.
His reprieve came through a Facebook page called "Kenyan Digital Farmers" which provided a platform for struggling smallholder farmers to learn new survival tips amid huge bottlenecks.
Through this digital platform, Kioo and his peers in horticulture farming are able to exchange vital information on markets, proper agronomic practices, weather and consumer preferences.
"Things are a bit better compared to a few years ago but we still have a long way to go, online platforms such as Facebook rescued some of us who almost gave up on horticulture farming," Kioo told Xinhua during a recent interview.
Read more at Xinhua
Publication date: 4/13/2017
Other news in this sector: