Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Plantlab says it has a patent on indoor farming
- CAN (ON): St. Michel ready to prepare next generation of Leamington growers
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- Here's why you should close your windows in case of storm
- Dutch growers take advantage of new dehumidification techniques
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Meridiem Seeds introduces TX2022
In line with the principles of the TRADITOM European project, which aims at recovering historic tomato varieties typical of the Mediterranean basin, Spanish company Meridiem seeds has introduced a new type of Marmande tomato, identified as TX2022.
The Traditom project has the objective of creating hybrids that have a unique shape, size and colour and, above all, the flavour of the past.
At the same time, the selections will have to have innovative agronomic aspects that can make plants resist various diseases (most of all viruses) to make the fruit available for the longest time possible.
TX2022 is currently being tested by some companies in the Pachino and Portopalo areas.
The managers of Meridiem Seeds' Italian branch reported: "we have carried out the first tests at Corrado Forestiere in Pachino, Sicily (an area that is renowned for producing high-quality tomatoes)"
"Plants were planted in high-conductivity soil and grafted on TX3800 tomatoes. Transplants were carried out in November 2016 and fruits are currently being harvested. They weigh around 150-180 grams each."
According to the manager, the tomatoes are of a deep green colour with a well-defined crown, they are shiny, grades are uniform, there are no cat-face problems, shelf-life is excellent and ribbing is good.
"In particular, TX2022 tomatoes grown at Forestiere had excellent feedback from traders in northern Italy, who appreciated their shelf-life, uniform shapes, colour and unique flavour."
Harvesting will continue until late May for a better assessment of the entire production. The next transplants will be carried out in September, also thanks to the excellent tolerance shown so far. The productive cycle will therefore be extended, so that the produce will be available between November/December and June.
"We would like to thank Az.Agr Forestiere in Pachino for the kindness and professionalism shown."
Meridiem Seeds Italia Srl
Cell.: (+39) 329 8474284
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Other news in this sector: