Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Plantlab says it has a patent on indoor farming
- CAN (ON): St. Michel ready to prepare next generation of Leamington growers
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- Here's why you should close your windows in case of storm
- Dutch growers take advantage of new dehumidification techniques
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (NC): Greenhouse for veterans closes its doorsLate last year, the Salem VA Medical Center director stood before a room of veterans at a town hall meeting and confirmed the news creeping faster than English ivy: If the VA did not find someone to run the greenhouse, it would close within a year.
The commercial greenhouse supplied plants to the medical center and offered sales to the public with spring plantings, autumn mums and holiday poinsettias while offering a sheltered workplace for veterans healing from mental illnesses and substance abuse disorders.
Director Rebecca Stackhouse said the central office had issued marching orders to local medical centers that they were to help veterans find and hold competitive jobs in their communities instead of continuing to subsidize employment on their campuses.
“This means that there will be impacts to one of our long-standing resources that we have here at our medical center, and that is our greenhouse,” she said. Across the country, greenhouses, print shops and similar enterprises at Veterans Affairs campuses will no longer be supported by the VA.
Read more at The Roanoke Times
Publication date: 3/20/2017
Other news in this sector: