Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- "Horticulture production in India has exploded"
- Growing vine crops without daylight is possible. Here, there and everywhere...
- "Biochar boosts tropical but not temperate crop yields'
- Reducing phytophthora in berry crops with ionization
- US (CO): Marijuana boom causes labour shortages, industry pushing for automation
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Public and private sectors specialize in different ag research areasBoth the public and private sectors fund agricultural research and development (R&D), but focus on different areas. The private sector specializes in areas where R&D results in improved commercial products and services, particularly food and feed manufacturing as well as farm machinery and engineering.
The public sector, in contrast, conducts most of the R&D on areas that have social value, but do not result in easily sold products. These areas include environment and natural resources and human nutrition and food safety. The public and private sectors conduct significant research on plant systems and crop protection as well as on animal systems and animal health. However, a closer inspection reveals that each sector invests in these areas differently.
Much of the private R&D on plant and animal systems aims at new commercial products like agricultural pesticides and veterinary pharmaceuticals. In contrast, public R&D focuses on topics like improving field practices and studying pest populations, animal pathogens, and soil attributes.
This chart appears in the November 2016 Amber Waves feature, "U.S. Agricultural R&D in an Era of Falling Public Funding."
Publication date: 3/15/2017
Other news in this sector: