Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
This app helps you to make better decisions in everyday system design and growth managementAustralian greenhouse consultant Graeme Smith has made a new and updated version available of his smartphone app which helps you to calculate the most important technical aspects of protected and hydroponic greenhouse growing. From calculating irrigation flows and volumes to complete estimations of boiler and heating costs, the app offers a total of 12 calculators that will support you to make better informed decisions in everyday system design and growth management.
"The updated app (version 1.0.2) is intended to be an industry resource to meet the needs of growers, researchers, hobbyists, trainers, retailers, suppliers, advisors, etc in the wider area of protected cropping", said Smith. "It is the second release of this app and we plan to continue to make additional calculators available in the future."
The complete App is a suite of 12 calculators. Version 1.0.2. includes the following updated calculators:
Greenhouse Acid or Product Dosing
Greenhouse Area & Volume
- Calculate treatment PPM or volume (litres) of various products/acids when added to water
Greenhouse Boiler Fuel Cost
- Calculate area (m²) or volume (m³) of various common greenhouse structures
Greenhouse Dripper Timing and Volume
- Calculate and compare costs of various common greenhouse boiler fuels ($ per GigaJoule of energy)
Greenhouse Hydronic Boiler Calculations
- Calculate greenhouse irrigation flows, rates & volumes (media based dripper systems only!)
Greenhouse Irrigation Pump Capacity
- Estimate minimum required greenhouse boiler size (in kW & MCal/hr)
Greenhouse Irrigation Rate Targets
- Calculate required greenhouse irrigation pump capacity & maximum number of solenoid valves (media based dripper systems only!)
Greenhouse Radiation & Light Units
- Calculate greenhouse irrigation volumes based on area, dripper rates and light sum, and compare to actual irrigation volume delivered over the same period
- Compare and convert common light (radiation) units used in greenhouse horticulture (inc. kLux, W/m2, J/cm2 and mol/m2/h)
Next to this, the updated version also features the following 4 new calculators:
Greenhouse Nutrient Deficiency Chart
Greenhouse Nutrient Feed Recipe Guidelines
- Use the flowchart to determine in a systematic way which element/s may be causing deficiency symptoms in the leaves. (Includes typical examples of leaf deficiency)
Greenhouse Nutrient Drain Reference Guidelines
- Standard feed recipe guidelines for both Open and Closed (recirculation) media based hydroponic systems (in PPM and mmol/µmol) and includes most common greenhouse vegetable crops
Common Elemental Conversions
- Enter laboratory analysis of your hydroponic drain water and compare to reference guidelines for your vegetable crop (in PPM and mmol/µmol) and includes automatic EC correction
- Converts common elements to/from pure form (PPM only!) and lists common atomic weights
A free ‘Lite’ version (Updated in v1.0.2) features 5 of the 12 greenhouse calculators: (volume & area, dripper timings & volumes, acid/product dosing, radiation & light units and common elemental conversions). Both apps can be downloaded from the Apple App Store via iTunes and is suitable for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch.
You can find the app under the following App Name: Greenhouse Growers Toolbox 1.0.2. The app is not yet available for Android systems.
Please note that all app information is given in good faith, however no liability is accepted for content or its application.
The Greenhouse Growers Toolbox 1.0.2 UPDATE is brought to you by Graeme Smith Consulting (www.graemesmithconsulting.com), a company founded by Graeme Smith in 1998 to supply specialised support services to the national and international protected cropping industry.
Other news in this sector: