Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- One million square foot cannabis production facility to be built in Australia
- NatureFresh Farms develops unconventional pest management methods
- Rough introduces the HopsHouse: a single-solution hydroponic hops greenhouses
- Dutch police raids greenhouses in heroin investigation
- Protected Cropping Australia appoints new board
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bao Duy Nguyen:
Australian Nuffield scholar to study transitions and upgrades in low-tech greenhousesAustralian greenhouse grower Bao Duy Nguyen has been selected as a Nuffield scholar. He’ll be travelling for 17 weeks this year, which will take him away from his parents 30ha cucumber and tomato farm on two properties around Geraldton in Western Australia.
Bao’s Nuffield scholarship will investigate the field of protective cropping in horticulture in low-tech greenhouses, with an emphasis on monitoring technology and water sustainability practices.
In an article in the Weekly Times, Bao said he now wants to take his own farm a step further with the Nuffield scholarship and understand if there can be a cost-effective transition to hydroponics in older, low-tech greenhouses such as those on his family’s farm.
“Or it may be better to invest in hi-tech greenhouses or diversification of crops.”
“I just want to investigate efficient practices. Ultimately our goal would be to go hi-tech but that’s a decade away. Until then I want to see what can be done in places like Israel and Holland that can be applied to the farm that’s low tech, or even improvised.”
Click here for the complete interview with Boa at the Weekly Times
Publication date: 1/11/2017
Other news in this sector: