Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Plantlab says it has a patent on indoor farming
- CAN (ON): St. Michel ready to prepare next generation of Leamington growers
- How the bumblebee coincidentally saved the greenhouse industry
- Here's why you should close your windows in case of storm
- Dutch growers take advantage of new dehumidification techniques
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bao Duy Nguyen:
Australian Nuffield scholar to study transitions and upgrades in low-tech greenhousesAustralian greenhouse grower Bao Duy Nguyen has been selected as a Nuffield scholar. He’ll be travelling for 17 weeks this year, which will take him away from his parents 30ha cucumber and tomato farm on two properties around Geraldton in Western Australia.
Bao’s Nuffield scholarship will investigate the field of protective cropping in horticulture in low-tech greenhouses, with an emphasis on monitoring technology and water sustainability practices.
In an article in the Weekly Times, Bao said he now wants to take his own farm a step further with the Nuffield scholarship and understand if there can be a cost-effective transition to hydroponics in older, low-tech greenhouses such as those on his family’s farm.
“Or it may be better to invest in hi-tech greenhouses or diversification of crops.”
“I just want to investigate efficient practices. Ultimately our goal would be to go hi-tech but that’s a decade away. Until then I want to see what can be done in places like Israel and Holland that can be applied to the farm that’s low tech, or even improvised.”
Click here for the complete interview with Boa at the Weekly Times
Publication date: 1/11/2017
Other news in this sector: