Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- Dutch police raids greenhouses in heroin investigation
- NatureFresh Farms develops unconventional pest management methods
- A look at the future developments in plant propagation
- US: Aquaponics Association calls on NOSB to retain organic eligibility
- What is Vapor Pressure Deficit and why does it matter?
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nepali grower goes from subsistence to commercial agricultureTwenty-one years ago, a young Padam Bahadur Thami headed to Panchkhal, a small town three hours drive away from his village in Dhuskun– 8, Sallekepa, Sindhupalchowk, in search of work.
Thami went to Panchkhal to look for labour work to make his ends meet, but there he found a ‘job’ that would not only help him support his family, but also become an inspiration for his village folk.
It all began when Thami, who was carrying furniture on his back or working as a construction labourer, he noticed that farmers in Panchkhal were toiling under ‘shed houses’ put up in their fields.
Inside the ‘houses’ grew tomato, cauliflower, cabbage and chilies, in quantities the subsistence farmer had never imagined before. It was only a matter of time before he realised that even he could have a bumper vegetable harvest in his own village.
In 2009, Thami got an opportunity to get formal training in agriculture. It was then that he understood that the ‘shed house’ technique was called ‘plastic tunnel farming’.
After completing the training, Thami got even better at his trade, and his profits continue to soar.
Read more at OnlineKhabar
Publication date: 1/6/2017
Other news in this sector: