Job offersmore »
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US (TX): Tarrant County College board approves campus greenhouse
- Partial replacement of PAR light by far red light in tomato
- NL: New Geothermal Energy Alliance in South Holland
- German Agricultural Society and Fairtrade enter strategic partnership in Africa
- US (ME): Aquaponic grower secures $1.6M to expand greenhouse
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Seminis launches Super Root cucumber, Tormes yellow bell pepper
The seeds and cultivation products distributor Seminis organised an open day to showcase its new commercial cucumber and pepper varieties. Agricultural producers and representatives of marketing companies have been able to check the quality of the specimens patented by the vegetable division of the seed firm Monsanto.
The two Seminis cucumber varieties, both of the long or 'Dutch' type, were the SV5047CE and the Teseo. The SV5047CE is a product suitable for a medium cycle, characterised by its resistance and uninterrupted production. This variety is especially resistant to powdery mildew, but also shows a good performance against yellowing and yellow vein. The most striking feature of this cucumber is perhaps its strong root system, which greatly improves the variety's productivity, quality (good colour and ribbing) and length. As for the Teseo, it is recommended for late cycles; its open and vigorous plant (another characteristic of the SV5047CE) makes it suitable for different types of crop management. Moreover, its productivity and post-harvest performance allows it to stand out compared to its competitors.
Both varieties are the latest in the Seminis Super Root cucumber range, which is characterised by the crop's strong roots. The root system of each variety of this commercial line (Hoplita, Espartaco, SV0091CE, etc.) is studied for five years by geneticists.
Seminis also presented its new yellow bell pepper, whose name is Tormes. This specimen is specifically designed for early cycles (the deadline for planting is 10 July). It has a very attractive yellow lime colour and is renowned for its great setting and colour even without the need for much greenhouse whitening, which will save the grower headaches, especially in summer, with the propagation of the white fly. The homogeneity and uniformity of the fruit is also remarkable, as well as its great firmness. In plantations where the harvest started in early October, there were still some peppers with an extraordinary firmness and colour by 22 December.
Regarding other products that were not showcased at the conference, but are also in the commercial stage, Seminis has highlighted its line of melons and watermelons 'Almería es Sabor'. Two keys: flavour and shelf life. "What customers mostly demand is a good Brix and shelf life, that's the reason for the existence of this range of varieties intended for export," explained the company's sales team. SugarLUP (cantaloupe), Chester (yellow melon), SV5133MG (Galia) and Fenway (black watermelon) are the names of the products in this range.
Lastly, it is also worth mentioning the Baquero Lamuyo pepper and the Laujar tomato on the vine and Jayena loose tomato varieties cultivated in the Levante area of Almeria.
Publication date: 1/2/2017
Other news in this sector: