Job offersmore »
- Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia
- Account Manager - Netherlands
- International Account Manager Tomato
- Experienced Tomato Grower - China
- CITRUS COMMERCIAL - Spain
- Account Manager Groene Ruimte en Pest Control Nederland
- Junior Accountmanager
- Junior Sales Engineer
- Junior Sales Engineer
- International Logistic and Product Supervisor - Rijnsburg, Holland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Oscillating strawberry system allows 200,000 plants per hectare
- The effect of LED grow lights on human health
- US (KY): AppHarvest plans 2 million sq.ft. high-tech greenhouse
- Integrated organic pest management more on the radar than ever before
- "Different shading products solution for climate problems"
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Copa VP Henri Brichart to chair EU Commission stakeholder groupAs preparations intensify on the future CAP, Copa and FNSEA Vice-President Henri Brichart was elected Chairman of the EU Civil Dialogue Group on the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) in Brussels for a one year mandate to help steer discussions on the future CAP.
Speaking after the election, Mr Brichart from France said “The CAP is an essential part of farmers lives. It’s important that we can enter into dialogue with the EU Commission and other stakeholders on the future of it to explain the realities of farming and to ensure that measures are workable”.
He underlined the importance of farming, saying that agriculture must remain a priority for the EU since it is not only important for food security but also for growth and jobs. “Consumers need to be aware of this”, he said. “It’s a difficult time and farmers need a simple and stable CAP in the future, with application of common rules across the EU. We have many challenges – competitiveness, market volatility, sustainability - and it’s important to have a CAP that provides solutions rather than problems. We need to reflect on the right tools for the future. Direct payments to farmers under the CAP must continue. We will need to have more tools in the future to help farmers better manage the risks of increasingly volatile markets. More innovation and investment is also essential to help farmers respond to the increasing challenges”, he insisted.
The EU Commission is set to release a public consultation on the CAP post 2020 at the start of February followed by a Communication in Autumn 2017. Legislative proposals are expected in early 2018. Copa & Cogeca have already began talks on this to ensure that we have a better agriculture sector in the future which is more capable of responding to agricultural crises.
For more information:
Publication date: 12/19/2016
Other news in this sector: