Job offersmore »
- Production Manager Pepper - Nunhem, the Netherlands
- Greenhouse Grower - Chicago, IL
- Product Specialist Zaailingen - Hendrik Ido Ambacht, the Netherlands
- Sales-Manager Scherming - the Netherlands
- Senior Grower - Australia
- Australia: Supply Chain Co-ordinator/QC Officer
- Marketing and Sales Manager - U.S.A. and Canada
- Sales Representative, Horticulture - Delta, BC - Canada
- Commerciële verkoopcoördinator bloemenkwekers - Aalsmeer/Naaldwijk
- Account Manager Propagation - Roermond, The Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- Mexico: Photo report Expo AgroAlimentaria Guanajuato 2014
- Greenhouse crops present higher pesticide levels
- More mite production in US will help growers using bio control to manage pest programs
- Finished with the delivery of 24 Ha greenhouse to Russia
- Green Diamonds growers dare to give shelf life guarantee
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch Greenhouse grower prefers the unemployed over labour migrants
A Dutch horticultural company preferring the locally unemployed over Polish labourers – not a common occurrence these days. And yet, nursery Mikhira, seasoned grower of peppers and cucumbers, is doing exactly that. "I personally find it antisocial to be working with cheap workers from Poland while in the Netherlands so many people are finding it hard to earn a decent living,” says Albert Struikenkamp, who advocates the deployment of the jobless at the Leerwerk Academie. “I think we can motivate a lot of local people to work in the sector on a professional level. In the end, that kind of labour might even be cheaper.”
Mikhira is a Social Firm: a company that combines commercial purpose with a social purpose. Mikhira grows organically and tries to employ young people with few chances on the job market. "In horticulture we currently employ about 40,000 Polish labourers. In the Netherlands, about as many are unemployed. I think we would do well to help at least 1000 young people in getting a job.”
Local government is supporting programs to stimulate the unemployed.
Publication date: 8/22/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.