Job offersmore »
- Experienced Grower - Leamington, ON, Canada
- Customer oriented Technical representative - North America
- Hydroponic Greenhouse Grower - Leamington, Ontario
- Research Manager - France
- Chief Operation Manager - China
- Territory Sales Representative - United States
- International Sales & Marketing Executive
- Head of Procurement and Supply Chain - UK
- Product Manager Substrates
- International Account Manager
Last commentsmore »
- Canada: "Nobody wants to take the risk with unwashed bags" (1)
- US: Fred C. Gloeckner Foundation awards 15 grants (1)
- Uganda: Greenhouse gives veg grower better yields, more cash (9)
- WUR trial achieves 89.1 kilo of Komeett tomatoes per square meter (35)
- US (VA): Region’s agribusiness harnesses technology (1)
- New patterned sticky trap catches double amount of whitefly (1)
- Turkish greenhouse growers go bananas! (1)
- Growtainer: high tech production facility housed in a 40' shipping container (1)
- Mexican grower Floraplant acquires two Ellepot machines (1)
- What to ask in your search for the best LED grow lights (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch Greenhouse grower prefers the unemployed over labour migrants
A Dutch horticultural company preferring the locally unemployed over Polish labourers – not a common occurrence these days. And yet, nursery Mikhira, seasoned grower of peppers and cucumbers, is doing exactly that. "I personally find it antisocial to be working with cheap workers from Poland while in the Netherlands so many people are finding it hard to earn a decent living,” says Albert Struikenkamp, who advocates the deployment of the jobless at the Leerwerk Academie. “I think we can motivate a lot of local people to work in the sector on a professional level. In the end, that kind of labour might even be cheaper.”
Mikhira is a Social Firm: a company that combines commercial purpose with a social purpose. Mikhira grows organically and tries to employ young people with few chances on the job market. "In horticulture we currently employ about 40,000 Polish labourers. In the Netherlands, about as many are unemployed. I think we would do well to help at least 1000 young people in getting a job.”
Local government is supporting programs to stimulate the unemployed.
Publication date: 8/22/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.