Job offersmore »
- Sales Representative – New Jersey, USA
- Head Grower Vegetables - Australia, Melbourne area
- Export Area Manager
- Entomologist - Vietnam
- Head of Innovation - United Kingdom
- Sales Representative - Netherlands
- Account Manager Horticultural Projects - Netherlands
- Technical Sales Representative - Minnesota or Wisconsin, USA
- General Manager - Querétaro -Mexico
- Head grower/agronomist - China
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- "We'd like to stay in Ontario, but we are reaching a breaking point"
- Irish tomato grower expands greenhouse business
- Dehumidification doesn't have to make you sweat
- Susceptibility of basil species and cultivars to Peronospora belbahrii
- Fujitsu launches company in Finland to produce vegetables year-round
Top 5 - last month
- US: South Carolina entrepreneur combines engineering knowledge with a passion for growing
- US: Hydroponics can remain organic....for now
- Be prepared to clean the inner glass by the end of the season
- Photo Report Expo Agroalimentaria Guanajuato 2016
- Video: What is happening with all that used rockwool?
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch Greenhouse grower prefers the unemployed over labour migrants
A Dutch horticultural company preferring the locally unemployed over Polish labourers – not a common occurrence these days. And yet, nursery Mikhira, seasoned grower of peppers and cucumbers, is doing exactly that. "I personally find it antisocial to be working with cheap workers from Poland while in the Netherlands so many people are finding it hard to earn a decent living,” says Albert Struikenkamp, who advocates the deployment of the jobless at the Leerwerk Academie. “I think we can motivate a lot of local people to work in the sector on a professional level. In the end, that kind of labour might even be cheaper.”
Mikhira is a Social Firm: a company that combines commercial purpose with a social purpose. Mikhira grows organically and tries to employ young people with few chances on the job market. "In horticulture we currently employ about 40,000 Polish labourers. In the Netherlands, about as many are unemployed. I think we would do well to help at least 1000 young people in getting a job.”
Local government is supporting programs to stimulate the unemployed.
Publication date: 8/22/2013
Other news in this sector: