Job offersmore »
- Grower - North America
- Regional Research Manager - Southern Region, USA
- Tomato Grower Demonstration Greenhouse - Leamington, Ontario
- Export Area Manager - Barcelona, Spain
- Distributors and sales representatives
- Farm Manager in Nanyuki/Timau , Kenya
- Greenhouse Lighting Sales Manager, LED Lighting - North America
- Medicinal Lighting Sales Manager - North America
- Fruit and Vegetable Import-Export Sales Agents
- General Manager International Fresh Produce Business – Portugal
Last commentsmore »
- Canada: New loans and grants will help greenhouses access cheaper energy (110)
- Turkish breeder Yüksel introduces hybrid greenhouse varieties worldwide (3)
- New protocol for CGMMV available soon (1)
- US: Illumitex LEDs for Nevada indoor grower (1)
- Hoogstraten and BelOrta promote Flandria peppers in France (1)
- New beit alpha cucumber varieties available to Indian greenhouse growers (1)
- "Success of marijuana industry depends on the input from commercial vegetable growers" (1)
- Oman: 33ha hydroponic greenhouse project lauched to bridge demand gap for local veggies (1)
- Dutch support for small and medium sized vegetable growers in Kenya (2)
- UK: Shopper finds dead frog squished on her Lidl cucumber (1)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Blue wavelengths from LED lighting increase nutritionally important metabolites in specialty crops
- Wageningen UR gets a Chinese solar greenhouse
- “We’re not what people might think of when they picture traditional marijuana growers”
- "Cogeneration often not used at its full potential"
- "Mar de Plástico" causes controversy among Spanish growers
Top 5 - last month
- Syngenta to sell entire Enkhuizen operations
- New gutter system wins popularity among Mexican growers
- Closed floater tackles disease pressure in hydroponic raft systems
- Patterned sticky roll captures 450% more thrips
- "Success of marijuana industry depends on the input from commercial vegetable growers"
Exchange ratesmore »
Blog by GGS Structures on Open Roof Greenhouse design:
How to eliminate condensation drip?Many growers are concerned about maximizing greenhouse ventilation. In some maximum ventilation designs, condensation control is sacrificed and dripping becomes an issue. This was the case for Hendriks Greenhouses, until they approached GGS Structures Inc., to help solve the problem. Hendriks Greenhouses, located in Beamsville Ontario, wanted a design that balanced both ventilation and condensation control, and GGS responded with the Open Roof Greenhouse design.
“Working with GGS over the years with the gutter vented greenhouse, we knew it was possible to work with them and get a nice dry (open roof) house as well,” said Craig Barlow, Operations Manager at Hendriks Greenhouses.
GGS created the open roof design in response to grower’s increasing concerns about ventilation with drip control. “The GGS open roof greenhouse design provides an optimal system to both maximize ventilation while maintaining a smooth surface on the poly and good roof pitch for condensation control,” said Michael Camplin, Sales Manager at GGS.
“This design ultimately results in exceptional condensation control. Additionally, we built a 4” inch gutter inside the greenhouse to collect any condensation that could potentially come through the ridge.”
For Hendriks Greenhouses, the finished product provided a vast improvement to their growing operation. Not only does the house stay dry, the open roof greenhouse keeps their crops 5-7 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than a gutter vented design.
This structure also has other features to ensure the longevity of the greenhouse. The gable ends include venting, and are made of long-lasting acrylic. Also built into this new greenhouse is an in-floor heating system, where the concrete floor is used as a radiant surface to deliver heat directly to the plants and irrigation water.
For more information:
Publication date: 4/25/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.