Job offersmore »
- Quality Control Manager - Netherlands
- Chief Operating Officer - Netherlands
- Operations Manager - Denver, Colorado, USA
- Nucleus Stock Employee - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, the Netherlands
- Material Planner - Vineland Station, Ontario, Canada
- Sales representative - Spain
- Head of Global Marketing & Business Development - Home Counties area UK
- Assistant Grower (Supervisor) - Abbotsford, Canada
- Trainee Grower - Warragul, Australia
- Blueberry Field Harvest Manager - Australia
Last commentsmore »
- Mexico: Dutchman runs floral greenhouse in Chiapas (1)
- Uganda: Greenhouse gives veg grower better yields, more cash (5)
- Peru: "Sweety Drop peppers will become the new Cherry tomato" (3)
- US (IN): Can aquaponics thrive in the midwest? (1)
- Azerbaijan: Agropark to be created in Khizi district (2)
- Technology converts organic wastes into organic fertilizer in just one day (5)
- Crisis at PlantLab; three board members resign (2)
- Doef's Greenhouses : a streamlined family business that embraces innovation (2)
- Creating a sustainable farm of the future for strawberry production (2)
- Mexican horticultural sector aiming to take production to a higher level (2)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Canada: Why a Leamington greenhouse is investing $200M in Ohio
- Cooling of greenhouse floor leads to improved plant activity
- Free Haifa webinar today: 'Optimizing growth by anion supply"
- Spain: Almeria exceeds 43,000 hectares of greenhouse crops
- The Dutch roots of Brazilian horticulture region Holambra
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Doef's Greenhouses : a streamlined family business that embraces innovation
- Japan: Biggest indoor farm is 100 times more productive than conventional agriculture
- Clipping 5 hectares of cucumbers with 3 people at 1600 plants/hour
- US: Nature Fresh Farms plans 175-acre greenhouse in Delta, Ohio
- Application of LED technology in horticulture is only expected grow
Exchange ratesmore »
Blog by GGS Structures on Open Roof Greenhouse design:
How to eliminate condensation drip?Many growers are concerned about maximizing greenhouse ventilation. In some maximum ventilation designs, condensation control is sacrificed and dripping becomes an issue. This was the case for Hendriks Greenhouses, until they approached GGS Structures Inc., to help solve the problem. Hendriks Greenhouses, located in Beamsville Ontario, wanted a design that balanced both ventilation and condensation control, and GGS responded with the Open Roof Greenhouse design.
“Working with GGS over the years with the gutter vented greenhouse, we knew it was possible to work with them and get a nice dry (open roof) house as well,” said Craig Barlow, Operations Manager at Hendriks Greenhouses.
GGS created the open roof design in response to grower’s increasing concerns about ventilation with drip control. “The GGS open roof greenhouse design provides an optimal system to both maximize ventilation while maintaining a smooth surface on the poly and good roof pitch for condensation control,” said Michael Camplin, Sales Manager at GGS.
“This design ultimately results in exceptional condensation control. Additionally, we built a 4” inch gutter inside the greenhouse to collect any condensation that could potentially come through the ridge.”
For Hendriks Greenhouses, the finished product provided a vast improvement to their growing operation. Not only does the house stay dry, the open roof greenhouse keeps their crops 5-7 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than a gutter vented design.
This structure also has other features to ensure the longevity of the greenhouse. The gable ends include venting, and are made of long-lasting acrylic. Also built into this new greenhouse is an in-floor heating system, where the concrete floor is used as a radiant surface to deliver heat directly to the plants and irrigation water.
For more information:
Publication date: 4/25/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.