Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Canada: Vineland developing hydroponic production systems for Asian eggplants
Changing population demographics, coupled with ever-evolving eating habits, are driving strong demand for ethnic vegetables. Eggplant imports to Canada in 2014 reached 24,862 tons, a 32 percent increase from 2011.
Chinese long eggplant grown hydroponically at Vineland Research and Innovation Centre
A team at Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is developing hydroponic production systems for Chinese long and Indian round eggplant to identify varieties with the right traits for commercialization including upright growth habit, yield potential and desirable consumer attributes.
Ten varieties of Chinese long and three varieties of Indian round eggplant, both grafted and non-grafted, are currently under greenhouse hydroponic cultivation at Vineland.
Chinese long and Indian round eggplant harvested
The crop is in full production and preliminary findings will be available later this year.
Vineland’s industry-focused research creates impactful results for the Canadian greenhouse industry.
For more information on this research program, please contact: Dr. Viliam Zvalo, Research Scientist, Vegetable Production Systems at 905-562-0320 x808, firstname.lastname@example.org
Publication date: 5/13/2015
Other news in this sector: