Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- "Easier to clean and lasting longer than polystyrene"
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Organic sales have plateauedAccording to the 2012 Census of Agriculture, total organic product sales by farms and ranches in the U.S. have increased by 83 percent since 2007. Today, you will see organics offered in many supermarkets, as three of four grocery stores provide organic choices to their customers.
According to Research and Markets, the market for organic food products in the U.S. is projected to exceed $45 billion in 2015.
Despite availability, consumers are increasingly hard-pressed to justify the added expense, and sales have hit something of a plateau, according to a March 2015 article in Mintel Reports. Mintel reports that frequent buyers of organics were remaining loyal but likely to purchase cheaper organic products. Those who buy organics less often were likely to select even fewer organic products.
Nearly half of the 75 million strong Millennial Generation (born between 1981-2000) choose organic for at least half of their food and beverage purchases, but that percentage declines with age. Organic foods comprise more than half of the food purchases of only 12 percent of the Swing Generation and 19 percent of Baby Boomers.
Publication date: 4/23/2015
Other news in this sector: